Red rice summer salad
So summer is right around the corner, I would say its already here, the weather is warm and the sun is shining down. I’m sitting in my windowsill and the windows are opened. The sun is gazing in through the windows. I can hear children playing on the street. The summer breeze is coming in through the windows and filling my small apartment with that summery smell.
I’m not going to lie, I like summer, I find summer really marvelous and exhilarating, but then I love fall for its mesmerizing colors that it brings, I love winter for the magic it brings when it snows, I love spring for the cherry and wisteria blossoms.
Summer is here right now so I’m going to enjoy it while it lasts, I’m going to eat as many locally grown strawberries as possible, I’m going to eat fresh and healthy, travel, take my bike down to the river for picnic dinners with my friends.
Todays post will be just that, a recipe on a delicious and healthy summer salad, that works perfectly for a picnic.
Red Rice Salad
1 heaped cup of Red rice,
1 red onion finely cut, lengthwise.
1 red or yellow bell pepper, chopped
2 tomato, chopped
4 radishes, sliced
1 small bag of already washed arugula
1 confection feta cheese
a bit more than a handful cooked French beans
3 tbsp. Olive oil
1 tbsp. of lemon juice
- Start by cooking the rice. Set it a side until its cold. Or cool it down in a durkslag placed under running cold water for about a minute.
- On a chopping board chop bell pepper and tomato’s. Slice the onion and radishes finely lengthwise. Cut the French beans into 1-inch long pieces.
- Place the rice in a large bowl and add the chopped vegetables.
- Crumble the feta cheese into the salad.
- Give it a good toss around with two spoons.
For the dressing:
- In a small bowl or a glass, combine olive oil and lemon juice, whisk it slightly with a fork, so that it’s stirred into unison.
- Add a bit of parsley and dill, taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour over salad and toss it around so that the dressing covers all of the salad.
NB: If you are making this salad for a picnic store the dressing in a small bottle or container and pour it over the salad right before you are about to eat it, otherwise there is a risk for the salad to go soggy.
- Serve and Enjoy